So this week of training has looked something like this:
Sunday 7/6 = 5 mile easy run
Monday 7/7 = Rest Day
Tuesday 7/8 = Lifting and 3.25 mile easy run, rafting
Wednesday 7/9 = 5 miles speed work (1 mile warm up; 1 mile at 7:30; 1/2 mile at 8:30; 1 mile at 7:30; 1/2 mile at 8:30; 1 mile cool down),
Thursday 7/10 = 12 mile LSD run, rafting
Friday 7/11 = 10 mile bike ride
Saturday 7/12 = Lifting, 3 mile bike ride, rafting
MPW: 25.25
Now that I write it out, no wonder I'm tired today!
My speedwork run went really well this week. I always dread speedwork and tempo runs because it's hard to run fast. But the silver lining in that cloud is that they go faster because of the increased speed. A blessing in disguise I suppose.
Thursday's long run didn't go quite according to plan. My TP was still having issues with her knee all week long and wasn't sure if she'd be able to do it, but wanted to give it the "old college try". We met at 6:30 at a local BLM area. There's a dirt road that goes on forever that we were planning to do an out and back on. We started off with a warm-up walk for about 1/2 mile then started our run. At mile 1 my TP had to stop. Her knee was hurting so bad she was near tears! Thank goodness she has a Dr.'s appointment on Monday - I hope they can help her get back to normal. Anyway...the other 11 miles were mine alone. I wasn't jazzed about that. It's a pretty desolate area with a lot of oil riggers driving back and forth. Before my imagination got the better of me I pushed on. The first half (6 miles) were pretty tough. A lot of hills (mostly up), on a dirt road with lots of rocks. Not the ideal terrain for a long run - an added challenge I suppose. I knew that if I made it to 4.75 miles I could make it the full 12 miles. I kept having to set mini-goals for myself. "If I make it to that shrub." "If I make it to that cattle guard." As soon as I got to 6.01 miles I turned myself right around for the 6 miles back to my car.
This run was a lot more mental than physical. I think that's what running is all about in general. I'm glad I toughed it out and didn't give in to myself. I'm glad that I was out on the trail and saw a beautiful sunrise. I'm glad I got to see a coyote hunting for his breakfast. I'm glad I got back to my car safely. It was a good run.
No comments:
Post a Comment