Thursday, July 17, 2008

Longest Run - EVER

I got started a little bit later than I wanted to today, but I wasn't too worried about it. My main reason for trying to start early is the weather but since it actually rained here yesterday and was overcast this morning - no biggie, right? Well, as luck would have it, the sky opened up and let all of that "glorious" sunshine beat down on the street. Argh. I started off around 7:45 (I think). I was a little worried that I actually felt hungry even before I started running. That's never happened to me before considering I ate, what I thought, was a pretty good breakfast.

The first mile or two were pretty uneventful. I thought I was on the right trail, but when I ended up looping around to where I started I was a little miffed. I decided I'd just blaze my own course. Somehow I ended up on the right road after another couple of miles. My only concern was that I'd end up way over or way under in mileage. Either way I had the option of turning around. Up until mile 10 I felt really good. Great pace and everything. I had to ask for directions from the golf course maintenance guys but it was all good. After I cut across the golf course (on the cart paths) my vision started getting weird. It was like I had a translucent hair in my eye. I remember feeling that before...the start of a migraine. I knew I was dehydrated. I had absolutely no options except to push on. Mile 11 and 12 were grueling and I chugged the rest of my Gatorade. That seemed to help and the vision thing cleared up, but my head was still throbbing. Oh, and remember how I mentioned I was hungry when I started? Yeah, by this point I was starving!!!

I finally made it back to my car at exactly 14.01 miles. I felt happy that I actually ran the miles, my pace was pretty good, but I felt like absolute CRAP. I inhaled a banana and a Z Bar and some electrolyte drink. I was a complete salty, sweaty mess. I thought all of this would help. Wrong.

Since I had driven to Carbondale to kill two birds with one stone - do the run and try out some new shoes - I headed over to the running store. I ended up buying a pair of really great Mizunos. Anyone else ever try these? I can't wait to run in them! I usually wear Brooks (just bought a pair two weeks ago) but I wanted to try something different. So I'm going to rotate them.

Anyway...the head was pounding and the banana I'd eaten had plans of its own. I thought I'd feel better if I ate some bread. So, I went to the grocery store. Before I could search for the much needed ibuprofen and some bread I ended up tossing my cookies (aka banana). Ugh. Plus, I had about a 30 minute drive home.

When I got home I immediately made some toast and ate it while I took a long hot bath. Then took an hour long nap with the pooch. I feel MUCH better now!

If this is what it's going to be like after every long run I'm gonna' be hurtin' for certain!! I think my main problem was (like Southern Yankee) eating too early yesterday and too light. I think I also need to get another fuel belt. Mine only has two flasks and that's not nearly enough! Plus it's too big - it actually fell off TWICE today.

On a bright note...I sure did look cute in my skirt! My legs feel great right now, it's just my head and stomach that are having issues. Thank goodness next week is a recovery week, only a 6 miler for my long run. Overall I'm happy with today's run, I just wish I didn't feel like crap during the last part and afterwards.

1 comment:

Chloe said...

I love Mizunos! That is all I have ran in for the past few years. I'm sure they'll treat you well! Sorry to hear about your head on your long run - migranes are no good. If I even think I have one coming on I do not leave the house! But at least your legs felt great! I've been playing with different things (GU, Nuun, things like that) to help me get through longer training runs. So far NUUN has been helping me get through the heat! Good luck and keep on running! PS - Sweet fish!

CHLOE