Monday, September 20, 2010

Lead King Loop 25K, September 19, 2010, Marble CO

I figure, the best way to do this race justice is to share the photos I took during the race.

The climb up to the top.


A view on the way up.


Getting closer to the top.


Ahhh - finally done with that pesky hill climb!



Starting the descent.


Lead King Basin


The Crystal Mill

I decided to run this race on a whim. I ran the 12.5K a couple of years ago and have always planned on doing the 25K. I just didn't plan on doing it this year. With that being said - I signed up for the race the Friday before the race and I didn't do any type of training for this race. I've been focused on shorter distances recently and haven't done a run over 8 miles in over 3 months. Soooo....I didn't have great expectations, but as always, I did have some expectations of myself.

The race starts in the town of Marble and follows a 4x4 road through the Lead King Basin. The course gains 2900' in the first 4 miles on a very rugged road. It levels out around mile 5 and then drops sharply into the valley for the next few miles. The road follows the Crystal River past the old town site of Crystal where the 110 year old mill still stands. The last couple of miles rise out of the valley and descend back down toward the town.

Here is a course profile...

In addition to being unprepared for the 15.5 mile course I also was lacking in the sleep department due to a trip to Denver to visit with friends. Two nights of little rest didn't bode well on race day. I think my legs were also a little shot from last weekend's race as well. So, enough of the excuses - here's how it all went down.

Woke up super early on Sunday morning to make the hour and a half drive to Marble. The race is pretty small <200 people between the two races. I picked up my schwag-bag and got myself ready to race.

I decided to wear my trail shoes for a little added stability and was still trying to work out the kinks with my fuel belt until the starting bugle was blown. The belt was driving me nuts for the first mile - bouncing all over the place. I considered throwing the belt at an aid station but then I wouldn't have my camera or my Honey Stingers. I found out real quick that the belt was going to be the least of my concerns of the day. The belt only bounces when you're actually "running". The following three miles included a LOT of walking.

Holy heck - that hill was steep. After the incredible leg burning climb I was rewarded with some amazing views of the Aspen trees at their peak color! I could finally start running at about mile 5 when the road flattened out. It quickly started to descend to the valley below at a pretty sharp grade. Parts of the road were nicely packed dirt but for the most part there was a lot of loose rock. Considering I wasn't even halfway done with the race I didn't want to take any chances and go ass-over-teakettle down the hill so I took it nice and easy. I even walked some of the downhill.

Around mile 8 I started to realize just how fatigued I was getting. I just kept reminding myself to enjoy the view and to not get injured. I was also starting to feel sort of conflicted because running in the mountains is so idyllic and peaceful but also extremely mentally taxing at the same time. Having to be constantly aware of your footing takes its toll. By this time the temperature started creeping up too - it was over 80 degrees by the time I finished. I couldn't do anything at this point except move forward - no matter how slow I needed to move.

I made the final big climb out of the valley and started to head back towards Marble. All I could think about at this point was the delicious BBQ pork sandwich waiting for me at the finish!

I crossed the line in 3:38:20 - a 14:54/mile pace. I said that I had some expectations coming in to this race - approximately a 3:00:00 finish. Initially I was disappointed with my effort - but now, I'm over it. Trail running is a completely different beast than I was prepared to battle with yesterday but the beauty of our mountains was a much more valuable reward than any time could provide.

No comments: