Sunday, November 15, 2009

This One's for Kodiak...

I am so ditzy when it comes to updating this blog. So I never realized that I didn't put up a race report for The Other Half Marathon that I ran about a month ago.

So - here it is.

I was excited about running this race, as it's the only one that I haven't run in Moab. It starts up at the end of the canyon at the sight of the Old Dewey Bridge (that's no longer there). This section of the canyon is quite a bit hillier than the end that's closer to town - so I wasn't so sure how this race would pan out.

My training partner/teaching partner and I had a little "strategy session" a few days before the race. She definitely wanted to finish in under 2:00:00 and closer to 1:55:00. I didn't really have a goal in mind - but that sounded good to me. So we accounted for the flat beginning, the hills in the middle, and the grind to the end. We figured we needed to run 8:45 average splits in order to hit the 1:55:xx goal. We were planning on going out around 8:30 for the first 6 - 7 miles and slowing down on the hills to 9:30 (at the slowest).

The best part about this race experience is that a lot of my local friends were running it and for many of them it was their first 1/2 marathon. I remember being in their shoes about two years ago and was so excited for them!

We headed down to Moab on Saturday afternoon and drove the course on the way in. We stopped at Dewey Bridge to take some pictures. It was a gorgeous day - upper 70's and sunny! As we drove the course we were all enamoured by the magestic red rock spires and formations. So unreal! We also noticed the hills -- yeah - they were nothing to ignore, but nothing too unmanageable.

After picking up our packets we checked in to the hotel and met up with a couple of other friends who were in town to do the race. We all had a date with our friend Miguel at the Baja Grill for some serious Mexican food! Portabello enchiladas? Yes please! We also filled up the tanks at the diner with some after dinner ice cream!

Race day morning I hiked over to Starbucks for some pre-race fuel - coffee!!! I enjoyed a cup of Pike's Place while I downed my oatmeal. The weather was supposed to get pretty toasty towards noon so I made some last minute wardrobe adjustments and headed out to catch the bus.

The busses deposit the runners at the top of the canyon. It was a mad dash to claim a spot near one of the bon fires they light to keep everyone warm before start time.

As it got closer to race time I took my drop bag and my TP's bag to the truck. As I tossed it over the edge of the truck I thought I heard someone calling my name. It turns out that my TP left her Garmin in the bag - that I had just thrown into the truck. Oops! It was really up to me to get this pacing gig right! Yikes!

There aren't any formal pace groups at the Moab races but there are signs for different pace groups - so my TP and I made a guess at where we should be and hoped we were in the right spot.

The scenery was so incredible! I feel so blessed to live in this part of the country!! The first six miles just rolled by - totally uneventful.

Mile 1 - 8:42 (a little bit of weaving and bobbing)
Mile 2 - 8:24
Mile 3 - 8:25
Mile 4 - 8:37 (yeah - we needed to slow it down)
Mile 5 - 8:41 (not that slow!)
Mile 6 - 8:33

The hills started around mile 6.5 and continued until around mile 11. At mile 11 or so I told my TP that if she wanted to beat her 1:55:xx goal she could just cruise and if she fell back I'd hold steady for the 1:55:xx finish. She took off - looking great! I just kept on keeping on.

Mile 7 - 8:37
Mile 8 - 9:38
Mile 9 - 8:46 (ah - a little down hill!)
Mile 10 - 9:08
Mile 11 - 8:47
Mile 12 - 8:49
Mile 13 - 8:19

The finish was at Sorrel River Ranch which is such an idyllic river side resort. Once I rounded the last corner to cross the bridge and put the pedal to the metal - passed a few people - and crossed the finish line. So much fun!

Mile .1 - 7:12

Overall time was 1:54:30 - 8:44/mile.

The best part was seeing all of my friends cross the line looking so strong and happy! I really can't wait to do this race again - perfect day, perfect course, perfect weather, perfect friends, AND perfect execution of the pacing plan - can't ask for anything more!!!

I'll probably add some pictures later on.

3 comments:

kodiak73 said...

Thanks, I feel so special! I wasn't trying to guilt you into writing one, just honestly curious after you wrote about the lead to the race.

I have NEVER been that successful exicuting a race plan. I program my watch for the splits I want based on my training but once I'm on the course it all goes out the window. If I'm too fast my mind says "Cool, and I feel fine, lets just keep going..." I HAVE to find that "Lets back off now" switch. When I ran my marathon I had 4 hours as a goal. During the first half I "felt great" as I flew a minute a mile faster than plan for a split in the 1:44 range... yeah, then it all came tumbling down at mile 23 and I limped in at 4:07 and change...

I'm running a half on Thanksgiving, hopefully I have learned my lesson and can find the restraint button.

Great race and great race report... Thanks, and happy running!

L.A. Runner said...

Great job on the race, even if it was forever ago. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Nice job, girl! Not that I didn't know how the race went, but good race report :) I'm impressed with your pacing! I'm no good at that, even with just myself running. Ah well, always good to have more goals. Have a good Thanksgiving!