Here's the Cliff's Notes of what's been going on with the running lately...
We took a week long vacation to MN to visit family. The running went VERY well while I was there. Did my 18 mile long run and a bunch of other shorter runs and a tempo. I really like running at a lower altitude. It really does make quite a difference!
When we came back school started. It's been a bit of an adjustment but I've been able to get most of my runs in. I had some troubles with allergies and a tight knee but nothing too serious.
As for long runs since school started I've done a 10, 14, 16, and this past Saturday 21.5.
So, I'll hop right back into this...here's what I accomplished during the past week.
Monday 9/1: lift and core
Tuesday 9/2: 4.5 miles [easy pace]
Wednesday 9/3: yoga
Thursday 9/4: 5.5 mile bike ride
Friday 9/5: 5.25 miles [easy pace/hills]
Saturday 9/6: 21.5 miles [long run]
Sunday 9/7: 4.5 miles [recovery run]
Recently I met with my trainer. She's not working at the club anymore, but she's still training privately. So she set up a program I can do at home with a few weights, a ball, and a BOSU. I absolutely love the program! Plus, it's such a relief to know that I don't HAVE to go to the club in addition to all of the other stuff going on in my life. She has also helped me realize that I'm a runner, not a weight lifter, so I don't NEED to do four workouts a week. Two or three sessions should do the trick. I'm also adding in one yoga class per week, bonus is that it's at work!
I've also been looking ahead to my next marathon. It may be a little naive to think about a second one before running my first, but unfortunately I have to plan ahead to accommodate the other aspects of my life.
I've developed a list of criteria for my second marathon in hopes of qualifying for Boston 2010. I'm looking for a relatively "flat" course, at lower elevation, in late April or early May, and in a location that is relatively easy to travel to. There are a few options I'm considering: Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon, Flying Pig (Cincinnati), Tacoma, Eugene, and Salt Lake City. Right now I'm leaning towards OKC. We'll see.
With all of that being said I'd also like to develop and more intense but manageable training program for that marathon. I'm looking at doing a 10 or 14 day cycle rather than a 7 day. It would give me more flexibility with my runs rather than having to do the same thing over and over and over, week to week. Hopefully something will workout as I look into it more closely.
As though this post isn't already long enough...I thought I'd mention some of my upcoming races...
Saturday 9/13: Lead King Loop 12.5K = This is a relatively local event up towards Carbondale. I'm mostly running it just for the experience of a trail race. The course is very comparable to a trail I run weekly so I'm pretty confident that I'll run strong but I'm sure I'll pale in comparison to the other runners there. They have a pretty good lunch afterwards too. I'm really looking forward to that. Plus, it's in the mountains and the colors should be pretty nice by then.
Wednesday 9/17: GWSHS 5K = This is just a little fundraiser 5K for one of the local high schools. Last year was it was a benefit for a local runner who was hit by a car and left for dead on the side of the road. Luckily, he recovered and is running and racing again. Oh, did I mention that he's in his 70's! I saw him during my last long run and he is so inspiring!!
Saturday 9/20: Buena Vista 1/2 Marathon = I ran the 10K of this race last year. It was my first 10K race. Amazing how far I've come in one year, as this will be my 5th half marathon since that 10K. Anyway...again, the colors should be beautiful up there! I keep telling myself that I'm using this as a training run, but I also have a PR goal in the back of my head. We'll see how I feel on race day.
Saturday 9/27: Canyon Shuffle 5K = Last year I ran the 1/2 marathon at this race and it was my first. Good memories and nostalgia on that trail, but this year I'm looking forward to the abbreviated version.
Sunday 10/5: Komen Race for the Cure, Denver = This is becoming an annual pilgrimage for the gals at work. A weekend in the big city for a great cause. Really looking forward to doing this one.
Saturday 10/11: Zen Run 10K = As part of the "Phedippidations World Wide Half Marathon" I will be joining runners around the world to "think global, run local". This will be my last "long" run before the marathon. This should be a good chance to reflect on my training and look forward to the big pay off.
Sunday 10/19: Denver Marathon = Enough said. I ABSOLUTELY can't wait for this opportunity!!!
I thought I'd throw a couple of pictures in from MN.
Sunset on Lake Miltona...
Me and the in-laws...
Roan, taking a dip in the lake...
Me and Roan relaxing at the cabin...
Bret and me hanging out at the beach...
No comments:
Post a Comment