Yesterday I ran a local race - The Mother's Day Mile. I wasn't sure what to expect from my legs after the half I ran on Saturday, but I figured I'd just give it the old college try. A friend of mine picked me up and we headed in to town for the afternoon.
This is a really cool event - they have a huge silent auction and it's a benefit for an organization that helps women and children who are in violent domestic situations. They also have a sister-organization site in Eldoret Kenya for women who are HIV+. The women in Kenya create jewelry to sell to support their treatment and housing. The jewelry they make in Kenya are the awards for the race.
Another point worth noting is that the race is a "zero waste" event". That's pretty ambitious for an event that has hundreds of runners!
I did have some time goals in mind, however, I wasn't too committed to them because my legs were feeling pretty spent from the half I raced on Saturday. My PR is 6:47 on the course and last year I ran 7:27 - so I was shooting for something in the middle and hoping for an AG award.
So - I did a light warm up and a little stretching and was ready for the 1:30 start time. This year the race was chip timed, which was great, however it was still a mess at the start line. I broke out of the pack and tried to stick with my friend Karah. I knew she would be a great pace bunny - she's quick, and would make me work. I figured if I could keep her in my sights I'd be okay.
The course starts directly up a hill, ouch. I passed a lot of other women on the way up but my lungs were on fire! After a quick left turn there's a nice little downhill stretch on a residential street. I just continued to push and was able to catch a couple of other gals who started too fast.
After we cut through a parking lot to the turn around I started counting the number of women ahead of me. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I was really close to number 5 so I thought I'd see what was left in the tank and sure enough I caught number 5. For the last 1/8 mile I was pretty much in no man's land. Karah was a sizeable distance ahead of me and the previous number 5 was a ways behind me.
Two quick turns and I was in to the parking lot to cross the finish line. That's when I saw the time clock. Didn't beat my PR on that course but I did much better than last year. 7:03 which ended up being quick enough for 3rd place in my AG and 5th OA. The woman who won my AG (who is also my age) ran in 5:38! Crazy fast!


1 comment:
Great job, dear! I'm really impressed that you were able to pull that off the day AFTER your 1/2 marathon. Wowzers, leggies. Your pictures are too cute; I love them!
Post a Comment