Sunday, January 24, 2010

Girls on the Run Summit - Austin, Texas

The experience from the Girls on the Run Summit has weighed on my mind heavily since I returned on Wednesday evening – almost to the point of distraction. I have been extremely anxious to find time to sort out the ideas and thoughts I came home with. I’m sure that I am no where near completing the process of analyzing all that was presented to me but I can’t allow the inspiration and love I felt during my time in Austin to dissipate!

As I prepared to attend the Summit I felt so blessed and lucky to have the opportunity, but it wasn’t until I was there – in the thick of it – that I really started to understand the depth of this opportunity. I felt humbled by the strength and passion of the women who are part of GOTR. I was truly in the presence of greatness and feel that I need to take that feeling and pay it forward.

The Logistics
To start off I’d love to give the logistics of the trip and the conference because they definitely augmented the experience.

I went to Austin with five wonderful women who are a part of our local council in Western Colorado. We were on a plane bound for Austin by way of Dallas early on Sunday morning. We touched down in Austin on time even though we flirted with a possible side trip to Abilene to refuel. We were dealing with heavy fog in the Dallas area and made several stomach churning loops in a holding pattern.

During my time in Austin, I was able to see a sizeable area of downtown. I made a pilgrimage to UT, Mellow Johnny’s Bike Shop, and the original Whole Foods! We also took a walking tour of 6th Street and had the authentic Austin experience of live music – I think my favorite locale was Maggie Mae’s where they had ‘live band karoke’! Austin is a wonderful town for runners – that’s for certain!

The Takeaways
My time at this conference left me feeling rejuvenated, inspired, and full of passion! I am itching to do more for my Girls and my community! It also forced me delve into myself. In some ways that sounds really narcissistic, but it’s not meant that way. I think we really need to know ourselves – who we are and what we stand for, in order to be ready to give of ourselves fully.

I really started thinking about my own experience of “being a girl”. I think I’ve just realized how lucky I was growing up and how much thanks I truly owe to my mom. I was never told, “No, you can’t do X because you’re a girl.” Any activity I was interested in was fully and completely supported by my mom. I NEVER felt like my gender determined what I could do with my life!

It also never occurred to me that many girls and women did and do go through life feeling that they couldn’t attempt something meaningful to them due to their gender! Hello, wake up call!!! Take the rose colored glasses off! I feel like such a doofus for not realizing this sooner!!!

So this realization is helping me to determine what I NEED to do – the GOOD WORK that needs to be done!!

I started thinking about what the ‘good work’ would look like when I got home…and I believe there are three facets of impact I need to persue. These are the questions and queries I need to keep in mind so I can live and love BIG!

What does it look like on a personal level?
I need to define what drives me.
I need to explore and share my gifts.
I need to cultivate and grow my confidence on the inside.
I need to surround myself with women who are also confident on the inside.

I feel like I get bogged down in the mundane minutiae of life and that stops me from truly enjoying my experiences! I must keep the big picture in mind and enjoy the moment!

What does it look like for the girls?
I need to model first and teach second.
I need to be willing to be seen in order to be understood.
You gotta’ walk the walk if you’re gonna’ talk the talk!

What does it look like for my community?
It really does take a village. We are all responsible for our children. I heard this quote at the conference and it really struck a chord.

You can’t build a future for your youth but you can build youth for our future. - FDR

This is what I want! This is what is right!

Thank You’s
Not that I think anyone really reads this blog, but I have to put this positive energy out there in to the universe…so, here goes.

Molly –
Thank you for your inspiration, your passion, and your enthusiasm! I had to pinch myself every time I was in your presence – seriously! The gift you have shared with the countless girls who have participate in GOTR is amazing! You are a changing force in the world!

Jenny –
After hearing you speak, my initial reaction was “YES!”. You ‘get it’ and 'give it'! The power of running is truly amazing – it provides the opportunity for personal discovery and the cultivation of one’s true potential. Not just in a physical sense, but, more importantly, spiritually and mentally! You are such a steward for our sport – and for women!

Jill –
Thank you for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to be a part of something powerful. I am so thankful you took a chance on Garfield County and I am so excited to explore and seize the opportunities we have.

Melanie –
Thank you for ALL of your support and encouragement getting GarCo up and running - literally! You are a amazing woman – I have learned so much from you – you are always ‘grace under fire’!

I have found my passion – I will continue to explore and define how to do what is right for me, my ‘family’ (the Girls and women of the world), and my community. I want to share the fire and passion with any and all who will listen! Molly – I think you’ve created a monster!!! ☺

2 comments:

L.A. Runner said...

Very proud of you and all your hard work! Continue to "light the fire!"

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great experience and have so much wonderful stuff to work on! The girls in your area are very lucky to have you as an inspiration! :rock on: ;)