So...lots to catch up on.
Here's the Cliff's Notes version.
Felt great after the marathon - minimal soreness, a little tired, a nagging pain in my left foot. Two days later - pain is worse, and ALL other pain had dissipated. Hmmm...something's not right. Tried to run one week later, ouch. Monday morning I visited the Sports Med. doc. No stress fracture, but not sure what it was. I got "THE BOOT OF DOOM" and two appointments with a PT. Bottom line - torn ligament on the lateral side of my foot. Took about three weeks to heal. Eventually I graduated to an ankle boot. In the mean time I was able to do some spinning, but that was about it.
I've been back to running (half-heartedly) for about 5 weeks now. During this time I've realized that my body never had a chance to 'recover' from the marathon stress. My running has reflected this. For the first three weeks I felt slower than molasses and had 'heavy' legs. It's only been in the past two weeks or so that I've felt sort of normal - my pace is back in my pre-marathon range.
I ran the Winter Sun 10K this past Saturday (12.6) to sort of test out my fitness and pace. I was honestly hoping to finish. I haven't done a 6 mile run since the marathon! The longest I've done was 5. My secondary goal was to break 60 minutes. Happy to report that I reached both goals and crossed the line in 50:51. Not quite up to par, but I'm happy with it.
So now I need to get it in gear and get ready to train for the Ogden Marathon in May. I'm a little apprehensive to commit to this race because I don't feel that my base training is where it should be. I've been averaging 10-15 miles per week but I'd be more comfortable taking on this next round of training with at least 20 MPW. We'll see how it goes.
I intend to start training during the second week of January so I have some time to up the mileage. Problem is...we're in the middle of buying a new house and selling ours. This process seems to be life consuming. Add the holidays on top of all that. Oh boy - here goes nothing!
1 comment:
You'll be ready to go, Suzanne! Your marathon's not until May so you can do a few more weeks here of base building and not worry too much about mileage. Then you'll be chomping at the bit to resume regular training after all the house stuff settles down.
Post a Comment